Saturday, March 8, 2008

Why I Write

This is a partial reply to a post on my Facebook account about my lack of updates on the blog, now it’s not too pick on the person as I greatly respect both their own voice and their amazing sense of what being a friend is, but needless to say it gave me the fuel to write this.

Now originally I must confess that the idea of the blog was to write about my adventures here in Japan, I wrote a couple, but seeing as every day, almost everything has a story to it. It would be nearly impossible to write that much, or to get it in a sense so you can understand of how much in awe I am sometimes. Other times would best be reflected in how confused I must feel or alienated at times, this all plays in, and while I know my words often can strike chords with others, no words can suffice to how each thing impacts me, sometimes in a very raw and naked way.

So then I just turned to my writing, for any who know me, know that this is not uncommon, throughout university I was always known to carry a spare notebook that would be filled with lines of drabble sometimes sparking a great amount of effort, sometimes just a few short lines, others verse or rhyme of something that I had conjured up during an interesting or dull lecture. Now that tradition has not been lost I still carry a notebook everywhere I go, and write in it, for every entry to this blog, I have maybe 5 to the book. Yet I have made this blog different, because I did want it to be simply an extension of that notebook, but rather serious thought put into the entry, serious questions asked about myself. Now I have spoken that I’m not sure who reads this, but then again sometimes I don’t really care if you do or don’t because by just writing on the issues, I have forced myself to dig for an explanation into things I have often skimmed by.

So why do I write then? Well I think I write because what good does any of this thought do if not put out there for others, waiting to debate certain parts, see what can be amalgamated to other notions of life or what others can augment to my own current thoughts. Why? Simply put because I can, because I want to explore an issue, because an issue arises that I feel that I need to reflect and question why it came in the first place or the consequences of it. There are just as many reasons why I should as to why I could never seek to explain every daily adventure here. Yet, inspiration for these sometimes is hard to come by, either because I am still blind and naive to what it is I’m facing or, like most…I’m just not interested. Yet then again sometimes I have no explanations or thoughts because I am just finding this out, and coming to my own terms with it. I will write these pages eventually, but sometimes I just have no words to adequately interpret what goes on below my surface. Yet I think if you really know who I am as a writer then well you must also know who I can be as a thinker…at best of times a scatter brain…worst of times well…when I find the words that describes what goes on in my head…I’ll let you know.

Some weeks will be filled with entries, some with none, why…. Because always because I do not write just for the sake of it…I write because I want to seek and explain something to everyone to see it myself…that is why I write…not for you the reader (though I am greatly thankful; honestly some comments have led to deep insight) but for myself, to let my own voice but heard in the vast nether verse of space.

So be patient and entries will fill this…and perhaps upon our next true conversation I can share some of what I write outside of this box.

The winds move at their own pace, no one else’s.

No comments: