Sunday, March 6, 2011

Jumping

Now, don't think this is going to read about jumping from buildings, hopscotch, jump-rope or really anything to do with that, No, it is a metaphor this time like well pretty much everything I write I try to use symbols to get the point across.

It is interesting to think about the idea of jumping, we as people cannot fly without aid of course unless someone somewhere is holding out on us, so the act of jumping is to defy our nature and attempt something beyond or normal realm of actions. So why do we do it, it really doesn’t allow us to do more, the odd time it does allow us to reach something (which I will alliterate on later) or to make a long journey around shorter. Yet really when you think about it jumping only serves us when we dare to reach for something beyond our norms.

So the quote I am using now is “Sometimes we have to jump and hope to god we can fly” I cannot remember where I heard it from or if I just made it up. Either way I have always taken it to mean that you have to make a leap of faith against your norm against what you know will happen. Each and every time we jump we try to fly just a little bit, when we were younger you could fly anywhere by jumping and you always had to jump to fly. So obviously what I’m ranting about is this quote referring to doing something that you have to act on faith getting done rather then it being a sure thing, because if we don’t fly well we crash, and the bigger the leap the bigger the potential fall.

So why do it?
Why risk it at all.

Why, because we want to achieve what we can see around us but cannot do. Like flying. Yet I’m not entirely convinced by my own statement because I think its not the flying but the falling bit that gets us the most, the part we cannot control, like when we fly sure its new and wonderful and amazing, but that falling that control of nothing. That falling that free fall shows us that as much as we control our lives there are things beyond our control and all we can do is feel them at work.

So why Fly. Because I feel that as much as we enjoy the fall we want to do the impossible, falling is something everything in the world does, it all comes down, but that defying the end, the climb back to the top to fall again with that same feeling and repeat, that says something that says look here it is, look at it in glory.

So what they hell am I talking about….

relationships, love, anything like that.

Jumping trying to make something work, we do it all the time with a loved one, a new person, a friend anyone we meet, because it’s outside our norm, when you stop jumping stop reaching to do that for a person to form that connection then it all falls away.
That falling is what we long for, that feeling of being out of control about how we feel that no matter what we could have done it is still there that action that just goes without our notice or our acknowledgement that it can happen. We want that feeling to continue.
So we hope to Fly, because if you watch any bird fly the work to get high and then glide and let the world take over, they let that higher power act on them and just sail with it. If we can do that if whomever you are with can put the effort to climb some steps to get high enough to fall and let it go with what you want and then start it all over again, then well that’s why we Jump.

So Should I jump? Logic says no, we fall when we jump and we don’t fly. Past experiences says much the same, sure I might glide longer but I haven’t really every had someone work with me to climb back to the top, to work it over and over again and enjoy that feeling that comes from the times we let the higher powers work. So should I? No I shouldn’t….But I will anyway.

So here I am jumping hoping you jump too. Let’s see if we can fly.


The Wind carries us to rest our weary wings and let us know the world will carry us awhile

No comments: